Development and Communications Associate
First Literacy, Inc.
POSITION: Development and Communications Associate
REPORTING to Executive Director
First Literacy seeks an assertive development and communications professional to direct its fundraising activities in collaboration with the Executive Director and Development/Communications Committee of the Board of Directors.
The work of First Literacy is accomplished by a four-person staff, including the Executive Director, the Director of Programs, the Program Assistant, and the Development and Communications Associate. The Development and Communications Associate is an integral member of the team and works actively with the other staff members, the Board of Directors, and the Young Professionals Board to ensure the success of the organization’s activities.
In collaboration with the Executive Director and the Development/Communications Committee, assist in the development of First Literacy’s overall fundraising strategy including individual donors, major donors, corporations and foundations, appeals, and special events.
- Individual and major donors: Take leadership role in the development of stewardship strategies, including identifying prospects, outreach, and cultivation. Perform administrative and donor-related activities for the annual fund and major donor campaigns.
- Gift processing and database management: Manage gift entry, records updates, and contact reports in First Literacy’s database management system. Process acknowledgement letters for all donations. Establish routine, accurate, and consistent systems for effective database management. Create queries and reports for targeted mailings, and other data analysis purposes.
- Grant writing and reporting: Prepare grant applications, reports, and related communication. Create and maintain a tracking calendar for all corporate and foundation grants. Identify grant sources to expand potential funding.
- Special events: Take a leadership role in planning and producing the annual Corporate Spelling Bee, including active communication with sponsors and prospects, creation and management of related fundraising activities, and administration related to the spelling bee. Assist in the creation and management of other special events, including house parties, receptions, and peer to peer fundraisers.
Public Relations and Media Outreach
Take a leadership role in the development of First Literacy’s public relations and media outreach strategy, including:
- Work with Executive Director and Director of Programs to identify media opportunities around programs and related issues, including monitoring media cycles and updating media lists
- Write and submit media advisories and press releases and follow-up with reporters
- Develop media relationships and place stories about First Literacy’s scholars, workshops, and programs
- Update and maintain marketing materials and assemble marketing packets as needed
- Assist with program-related activities as needed
- Two to three years of relevant development experience
- Demonstrated effectiveness in raising funds from individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Proven experience in public relations and media outreach
- Experience coordinating events
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent writing and verbal skills
- Expert use of Microsoft Office suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Self-directed with a keen sense of priorities and great attention to details
- Outgoing, persuasive, energetic, a good listener
- Knowledge of adult basic education or strong willingness to learn about the field
- Database management experience or enthusiasm for learning
ABOUT FIRST LITERACY
The mission of First Literacy is to ensure that Greater Boston adults with low-literacy or limited English proficiency have high-quality educational opportunities that enable them to thrive as individuals and as family members, in their workplaces, and in their communities. Our approach is multi-faceted and systemic. We not only support the development of individual students and educators, but also enhance the capacity of literacy education providers and the Adult Basic Education system in Greater Boston and beyond.
The position pays in the $40,000 to $48,000 range. Benefits package included.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Skye Kramer at email@example.com. No telephone calls, please.
People of color and bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
First Literacy is an equal opportunity employer.
• Post ID: 50189312 massachusetts